Friday, 31 January 2014

Progress

I really like being a shift-worker.  This morning I was wandering around my house wearing sunglasses, because I'd actually remembered to bring them to work, so have been wearing them since my 6am finish.  I wanted to make food before bed but I wanted to minimise daylight.  I like novelty and having rational reasons to do things that are harmless but normally not socially acceptable.  I don't have a face that suits sunglasses (though I do suit hats), to the extent where friends have tried to prove me wrong and become demoralised in the process, but for this job I decided to find a pair that would look nice (even if not amazing) and meet my criteria (rose-tinted in some way, since so far I haven't outgrown my inner hippie) no matter what the price, so even though I don't normally like labels my sunglasses are Armani and give me a hint of feeling like a movie star.

Developments

Over ten years ago I dated a guy named Ryan.  Ryan and I broke up, but I met his friends and liked them all instantly.  One of that crowd I don't see very often, but we agreed to meet for lunch, and now I'm spending the night at his place on Saturday (platonically, his marriage is definitely not open) because he sees me as pretty much the only friend who will understand a particular activity.  So that's exciting, as he is one of the group that I've never had the opportunity to properly build a real friendship with, yet obviously just seeing what I post on Facebook has kept me on his radar of people he's interested in getting to know better.  We also talked a bit about M, a guy that I had a crush on when I was younger, though the two of us were never in the right mindset to do anything about it (and that's still the case today, sadly our heads are in very incompatible places).

I decided to check in with R whether our label had changed in his head.  Three months ago I was "person he is seeing", which is fine but makes it sound like he's still testing it out (which he was), so I have been careful to only use the word "partner" in situations where the longer phrase would complicate things.  Apparently now I count as one of his partners, so I will start using that term.  It would have been okay if it hadn't changed as I don't want him to feel rushed, and our relationship is good so far regardless of how you label it, but I was curious to learn how long it would take him to move out of the "seeing if this could be a thing" to the "this is a thing" mindset.  Also R went out to dinner with my fiance Kieran and housemate Brad, which is good because I want him to feel comfortable at my house.  I'm seeing him Sunday night which I'm looking forward to, but I'm also wondering if Saturday night is going to have any effect on me beyond that one night.  Even if it's going to be a net positive effect, part of me feels that I like my life how it is right now and staying the same could help me maintain it.

Monday night I am meeting up with Michael, whom I met in a past life (we both think each other looks super familiar, yet we have no past places/activities/events/mutual friends in common, so if it wasn't this life it must have been a past one).  It has been almost two or more years since we last saw each other, but it doesn't feel like that long.  Making the time to build my relationships (even just the platonic ones) makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment