Up until recently my life was fairly peaceful (I would say uneventful, but I found the whole thing so relaxing that uneventful sounds like it could be a bad thing). I'm still getting used to the idea that I'm actually content exactly where I am, when for most of my life I thought I was supposed to try to get into the UN or become famous.
My apartment is exactly the right size, decorated in a way I love, and in the perfect location. Even the imperfect parts are things I wouldn't change, such as the occasional noise of helicopters for the Mater Hospital (where I was born) which makes me feel like I live in SimCity, and walking past my local Chinese place (unimaginatively named "Ben's Chinese Restaurant") hearing poorly-sung karaoke (which I respect far more - people singing to have fun, instead of to show off [or people who place too much worry about appearing perfect to actually give anything a try]). The couches have rips, but they also have high backs and plenty of cushioning, so I want to keep them forever.
Annual TLAPD Boat Cruise
Every year since the first one, I have attended the Talk Like A Pirate Day boat cruise. Kieran was involved with the QUT Student Guild, and the Pastafarians were a new club. I hadn't planned to attend (I'm sure there's a point where I will be too old for the Pastafarians), then I found out it was going to involve the Electrical Engineering Student Society. The first club I joined when I was at QUT was the electrical engineers (due to being friends with the president, vice-president and secretary), so nostalgic reasons made this one a must-attend.
I chose Josh H for my date. Kieran would have been too familiar (and would have wanted to spend time with other people), and R would have been too serious (and prefers to avoid PDA, whereas Josh isn't bothered by it and that would be a confidence boost in a social situation I'm not completely comfortable with). Luckily Josh H just happened to be in the mood to have us mostly keep to ourselves (I wasn't in a party mood either). I wore a black corset dress that was a hand-me-down from one of my favourite people Liz C (not usually my style, but therefore fun to wear for that reason), paired with black boots, purple fishnets, a tropical-pattern bandanna, and gold pirate jewellery ... and apparently I came second for best costume out of the females. I had both Josh H and Ages independently tell me I looked amazing, which was a relief. One of my poly concerns had been that Josh H might get distracted or connect with someone else there instead of me, and I wouldn't want to keep him from experiencing an amazing relationship, so I'd have to gracefully let him pay them attention instead which would force me to spend the remaining time trying to get along with the rest of the group (not something I was in the mood to do). When I mentioned that to him, he said that he didn't see that as an option because it would have been rude, and either way he seemed pretty into making the most of his time flirting with me (which is one of the best things about only seeing each other every couple of months, that the gap means it always feels unfamiliar and exciting).
Team Leader
I'm applying for a team leader position at work, even though I haven't finished my training yet (though I've been signed off on lots of it). Some people who are applying have completed even less of their training. The main girl my duty manager wishes was team leader has said that she has told both my duty manager and the VIP supervisor that she thinks I'd do an awesome job. And apparently few enough people are applying that with 5 positions available, it is actually reasonable to think I might get one.
The only sad bit is that if I do get one, I'll have to move teams, and I feel like B Team (or "Ravenclaw", as I think of it, due to it being the team that people are transferred to be better trained)* feels like home. My introversion meant it took me longer to become friends, but I was right in thinking it's only a matter of time before people realise who I am. Main girl was initially friendlier with two other people on the team, but they have bailed on her after promising to be at things and she's realised she can't rely on them the way she hoped, whereas I seem to be more transparent. This Wednesday we are going to get drunk and then play putt-putt mini golf which should be fun.
*The four teams at work appear to be - the team that wins but has low morale and constantly has people wanting to leave it (D Team - or "Slytherin" as I like to think of it), the team that is best for socialising and popularity (C Team - "Gryffindor") but not as worried about getting things perfect as B Team, the team that is nice but doesn't socialise outside of work and has more of an "you'll pick it up as you go along" attitude to training (A Team - "Hufflepuff").
That said, if I get Team Leader and I get moved to any of the teams, if I go to D Team it will be a new challenge but I'll get to hang out with Niki (the person at work I have most in common with, who got moved to that team). If I go to A Team I like their Duty Manager Scott (and if I had been on that team, he would have put me straight on VIP from Day 1), and will possibly be working with the guy who I did security training with, Justin (while he annoys me [he is a younger more immature version of my nemesis Zak] I do love feeling nostalgia) . If I go to C Team I will have the most entertainment. And maybe if I get moved to a team where my nemesis Zak is also team leader, then we can be the unstoppable force we've always joked about.
One of the few issues with being Ravenclaw is that we pick up mistakes while they are at the Turnback stage, so we log a fair number of turnbacks on other teams (a turnback is when we pick up a mistake and fix the previous Team's actions on it before it reaches the client). Other teams are not as thorough, so any mistakes B Team makes end up becoming Escapes, because the client gets contacted before the mistake is noticed. And unfortunately Escapes result in more points being deducted than just a Turnback, even if there are less of them made in comparison.
So even this is a good thing, either I don't get the role (not an insult, since more than half the people applying have more experience and are more trained than I am), and therefore I get to stay with my home team which is also the best place for me to continue to learn how to be the best operator, or I get to be Team Leader on a different team and face new challenges. And if I don't get Team Leader this round, because I won't feel it's personal, I feel quite comfortable in applying next time round (especially because next time round I will have finished my training and feel a lot more confident about the fact that being team leader may involve taking turns as Duty Manager). At the moment I am applying for it more as a"why not, maybe I could get it" (in case my self-opinion is limited by the Dunning Krueger effect, considering main girl thinks I'm a worthy candidate) and next time I will be applying for it as a "now I feel I'm actually worthy as a candidate".
Metamours
R's other two main partners and I went out to a gin bar (which is a welcome addition, considering whiskey has always gotten it's own bar). H and I already have a fairly good friendship, and it was nice to improve things with _____ (they were already off to a good start). It turns out _____ says I have restored her faith in metamours, and apparently she also defended me when her husband found a gaudy-looking necklace in the car and she immediately said "Naomi would NEVER wear something like that!" before R had even had a chance. The three of us are now a lot closer and have a three-way Facebook chat going on that means we can bring up issues and get two people's support.
R and I had a slight blip. He was going through a rough time at work, and he reacted to that avoiding everyone. Even though I'd been warned he has a tendency to go off the radar occasionally, I still found it hard to deal with. H feels comfortable forcing him to see her and talk to her (which is good because I don't want him to be completely abandoned), and I felt jealous that I didn't feel the same confidence. My head started stressing that his reason for not replying to my occasional messages was that space from me made him realise he found life better without having to deal with me, and I didn't want to continue to send messages if they were unwelcome, but I wanted to know what was going on so that I could either continue to make sure I was available to support him or could stop feeling pathetic and like I was ignoring hints to leave him alone. I sought support for H & ____, and briefly worried that I was being inappropriate for going through his partners.
His response turned out to be better than I dared to hope. Within an hour of seeking help from my metamours, he sent me a message saying "I love you" and then a second one saying "I'll call you in a minute". During the call I dared to ask if he would possibly have time to see me during my next four days off, and he asked if he could see me the very morning my last night shift finished. So not only did he want to see me, but he wanted to see me at my earliest convenience. We also agreed that from now on if all was good for us but he just wasn't up to figuring out what words to write back, he just needed to reply to messages with a loveheart and then I would know I hadn't done anything wrong to cause the lack of words.
So even that part of my life is pretty much as perfect as it could be. I had a short few days of stress, but then I had metamours to turn to, and R reinforced that he still cared as much as he'd lead me to believe so far. The only scary part here is that I think I need to start completely trusting his consistent words and behaviour, even if that means it becomes a devastating unexpected shock if it turns out to all be lie. But it's a good place to be, when you realise that your new-ish partner (almost one year now) is so good, that you can't logically justify keeping that little cautious part that doubts their love in the back of your mind active.
My apartment is exactly the right size, decorated in a way I love, and in the perfect location. Even the imperfect parts are things I wouldn't change, such as the occasional noise of helicopters for the Mater Hospital (where I was born) which makes me feel like I live in SimCity, and walking past my local Chinese place (unimaginatively named "Ben's Chinese Restaurant") hearing poorly-sung karaoke (which I respect far more - people singing to have fun, instead of to show off [or people who place too much worry about appearing perfect to actually give anything a try]). The couches have rips, but they also have high backs and plenty of cushioning, so I want to keep them forever.
Annual TLAPD Boat Cruise
Every year since the first one, I have attended the Talk Like A Pirate Day boat cruise. Kieran was involved with the QUT Student Guild, and the Pastafarians were a new club. I hadn't planned to attend (I'm sure there's a point where I will be too old for the Pastafarians), then I found out it was going to involve the Electrical Engineering Student Society. The first club I joined when I was at QUT was the electrical engineers (due to being friends with the president, vice-president and secretary), so nostalgic reasons made this one a must-attend.
I chose Josh H for my date. Kieran would have been too familiar (and would have wanted to spend time with other people), and R would have been too serious (and prefers to avoid PDA, whereas Josh isn't bothered by it and that would be a confidence boost in a social situation I'm not completely comfortable with). Luckily Josh H just happened to be in the mood to have us mostly keep to ourselves (I wasn't in a party mood either). I wore a black corset dress that was a hand-me-down from one of my favourite people Liz C (not usually my style, but therefore fun to wear for that reason), paired with black boots, purple fishnets, a tropical-pattern bandanna, and gold pirate jewellery ... and apparently I came second for best costume out of the females. I had both Josh H and Ages independently tell me I looked amazing, which was a relief. One of my poly concerns had been that Josh H might get distracted or connect with someone else there instead of me, and I wouldn't want to keep him from experiencing an amazing relationship, so I'd have to gracefully let him pay them attention instead which would force me to spend the remaining time trying to get along with the rest of the group (not something I was in the mood to do). When I mentioned that to him, he said that he didn't see that as an option because it would have been rude, and either way he seemed pretty into making the most of his time flirting with me (which is one of the best things about only seeing each other every couple of months, that the gap means it always feels unfamiliar and exciting).
Team Leader
I'm applying for a team leader position at work, even though I haven't finished my training yet (though I've been signed off on lots of it). Some people who are applying have completed even less of their training. The main girl my duty manager wishes was team leader has said that she has told both my duty manager and the VIP supervisor that she thinks I'd do an awesome job. And apparently few enough people are applying that with 5 positions available, it is actually reasonable to think I might get one.
The only sad bit is that if I do get one, I'll have to move teams, and I feel like B Team (or "Ravenclaw", as I think of it, due to it being the team that people are transferred to be better trained)* feels like home. My introversion meant it took me longer to become friends, but I was right in thinking it's only a matter of time before people realise who I am. Main girl was initially friendlier with two other people on the team, but they have bailed on her after promising to be at things and she's realised she can't rely on them the way she hoped, whereas I seem to be more transparent. This Wednesday we are going to get drunk and then play putt-putt mini golf which should be fun.
*The four teams at work appear to be - the team that wins but has low morale and constantly has people wanting to leave it (D Team - or "Slytherin" as I like to think of it), the team that is best for socialising and popularity (C Team - "Gryffindor") but not as worried about getting things perfect as B Team, the team that is nice but doesn't socialise outside of work and has more of an "you'll pick it up as you go along" attitude to training (A Team - "Hufflepuff").
That said, if I get Team Leader and I get moved to any of the teams, if I go to D Team it will be a new challenge but I'll get to hang out with Niki (the person at work I have most in common with, who got moved to that team). If I go to A Team I like their Duty Manager Scott (and if I had been on that team, he would have put me straight on VIP from Day 1), and will possibly be working with the guy who I did security training with, Justin (while he annoys me [he is a younger more immature version of my nemesis Zak] I do love feeling nostalgia) . If I go to C Team I will have the most entertainment. And maybe if I get moved to a team where my nemesis Zak is also team leader, then we can be the unstoppable force we've always joked about.
One of the few issues with being Ravenclaw is that we pick up mistakes while they are at the Turnback stage, so we log a fair number of turnbacks on other teams (a turnback is when we pick up a mistake and fix the previous Team's actions on it before it reaches the client). Other teams are not as thorough, so any mistakes B Team makes end up becoming Escapes, because the client gets contacted before the mistake is noticed. And unfortunately Escapes result in more points being deducted than just a Turnback, even if there are less of them made in comparison.
So even this is a good thing, either I don't get the role (not an insult, since more than half the people applying have more experience and are more trained than I am), and therefore I get to stay with my home team which is also the best place for me to continue to learn how to be the best operator, or I get to be Team Leader on a different team and face new challenges. And if I don't get Team Leader this round, because I won't feel it's personal, I feel quite comfortable in applying next time round (especially because next time round I will have finished my training and feel a lot more confident about the fact that being team leader may involve taking turns as Duty Manager). At the moment I am applying for it more as a"why not, maybe I could get it" (in case my self-opinion is limited by the Dunning Krueger effect, considering main girl thinks I'm a worthy candidate) and next time I will be applying for it as a "now I feel I'm actually worthy as a candidate".
Metamours
R's other two main partners and I went out to a gin bar (which is a welcome addition, considering whiskey has always gotten it's own bar). H and I already have a fairly good friendship, and it was nice to improve things with _____ (they were already off to a good start). It turns out _____ says I have restored her faith in metamours, and apparently she also defended me when her husband found a gaudy-looking necklace in the car and she immediately said "Naomi would NEVER wear something like that!" before R had even had a chance. The three of us are now a lot closer and have a three-way Facebook chat going on that means we can bring up issues and get two people's support.
R and I had a slight blip. He was going through a rough time at work, and he reacted to that avoiding everyone. Even though I'd been warned he has a tendency to go off the radar occasionally, I still found it hard to deal with. H feels comfortable forcing him to see her and talk to her (which is good because I don't want him to be completely abandoned), and I felt jealous that I didn't feel the same confidence. My head started stressing that his reason for not replying to my occasional messages was that space from me made him realise he found life better without having to deal with me, and I didn't want to continue to send messages if they were unwelcome, but I wanted to know what was going on so that I could either continue to make sure I was available to support him or could stop feeling pathetic and like I was ignoring hints to leave him alone. I sought support for H & ____, and briefly worried that I was being inappropriate for going through his partners.
His response turned out to be better than I dared to hope. Within an hour of seeking help from my metamours, he sent me a message saying "I love you" and then a second one saying "I'll call you in a minute". During the call I dared to ask if he would possibly have time to see me during my next four days off, and he asked if he could see me the very morning my last night shift finished. So not only did he want to see me, but he wanted to see me at my earliest convenience. We also agreed that from now on if all was good for us but he just wasn't up to figuring out what words to write back, he just needed to reply to messages with a loveheart and then I would know I hadn't done anything wrong to cause the lack of words.
So even that part of my life is pretty much as perfect as it could be. I had a short few days of stress, but then I had metamours to turn to, and R reinforced that he still cared as much as he'd lead me to believe so far. The only scary part here is that I think I need to start completely trusting his consistent words and behaviour, even if that means it becomes a devastating unexpected shock if it turns out to all be lie. But it's a good place to be, when you realise that your new-ish partner (almost one year now) is so good, that you can't logically justify keeping that little cautious part that doubts their love in the back of your mind active.
No comments:
Post a Comment